230817 - Official Launch of Pink Wigathon
Posted on 21 August 2017
 

                                                       SUPPPORT BREAST CANCER AWARENESS

AT THE PINK WIG-A-THON CHARITY RUN / WALK 

 

Putrjaya, 21 August 2017 – Breast cancer is the most common cancer to affect women, often occurring in the prime of their lives. And the incidence of breast cancer has substantially increased over the past 50 years. This is now more acute than ever because over the next 10 years there will be a dramatic increase in the number of women developing breast cancers. Globally 15 million new cancer cases will be diagnosed and it is expected that by 2020 there will be 1.7 million new breast cancers detected and 4.4 million Survivors. 

In Malaysia, the incidence continues to rise with the WHO [Globocan 2012] predicting more than 5000 new cancers diagnosed each year and an annual mortality of more 2500 women. It will form our women’s most feared disease. About one in 19 women in this country is at risk, compared to one in 8 in Europe and United States. 

On Sunday, 8 October 2017, at 6:30am, Malaysians from all walks of life, including breast cancer survivors and their caregivers, are invited to participate in a breast cancer awareness walk at Taman Botani, Kuala Lumpur. 3000 people are expected to join the Pink Wig-A-Thon to make an impact to end breast cancer through knowledge, education, prevention and  awareness of breast cancer screening / early detection / support for cancer survivors 

The Pink Wig-A-Thon was officially launched by YB Dato’ Sri Rohani Abdul Karim, Minister of Women, Family and Community Development. 

Pink Wig-A-Thon is a rather unique run because participants will need to wear pink wigs, carry drawstring bags and run to create that outstanding and distinctive display of pink in support toward the fight against breast cancer. 

“At present, a whopping 42% of women with breast cancer are diagnosed when they are at Stage 3 or Stage 4, which is the advanced breast cancer stage. These statistics can be reduced greatly with knowledge, early detection and education, and that is what we aim to achieve with Pink Wig-A-Thon,” said Datuk Dr Devanand, Founder and Chairman of Pink Ribbon Wellness (L) Foundation. 

Besides creating awareness, Pink Wig-A-Thon also serves as a fundraising initiative for the Foundation. Approximately 80% of the funds are dedicated to the Foundation’s education and screening programmes for women and cancer-survivors support program in both rural and urban areas. The remaining 20% are being utilized for administration. 

To date, the Foundation has reached out to more than 15,000 women in the five years since it was registered in 2012. “Breast cancer affects so many of us – mothers, aunties, grandmothers, daughters, sisters and friends. By simply empowering these women with sufficient knowledge and education on breast health care and preventive measures, we can save lives,” said Puan Sri Maniseh Adam, Patron of Pink Ribbon Wellness (L) Foundation. 

Also present at the launch were Pink Wig-A-Thon Gold Sponsor, Beacon International Specialist Centre and

  • F&N Holdings Bhd,
  • Yakult (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd,
  • Unilever (Malaysia) Holdings Sdn Bhd,
  • Reckitt Benckiser (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd,
  • Adonis Beauty Studio,
  • Natucos Medispa
  • Sun Jiang Trading Sdn Bhd
  • A&C Dance Performing Arts Centre
  • Absolute Music Performing Arts Centre
  • Sunway University 

BEACON INTERNATIONAL SPECIALIST CENTRE (BEACON HOSPITAL) will support towards the Pink Wigathon program. Beacon Hospital, a renowned cancer specialist centre in the nation leads the way in various charity / CSR programs for cancer patients. They are working as partners with us in our mission to reach out to breast cancer patients. 

Beacon Hospital as the Gold Sponsor also offer the following to cancer patients as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).

(i)       Subsidy for Mammogram

(ii)       Subsidy for PET-CT scan

(iii)      Radiotherapy Welfare Fund

(iv)      Chemotherapy Welfare Fund

 

There will be two categories at the Pink Wig-A-Thon, a-5km walk and a-10km run. Apart from the charity walk/run, a fun filled carnival with celebrities performances and lucky draws will also be held between 9:00am and 2:00pm on the same day. Draw string bag containing lots of goodies and beautiful finisher medals will be given away to all participants.

 

Registration to participate in Pink Wig-A-Thon is open for men and women at RM80 and RM65 for cancer survivors, until 9 September 2017. For more information to participate or to be a sponsor of the Pink Wig-A-Thon, log on to www.pinkwigathon.org.my or call 03 2242 3121 / 3839

.



«  Back